How does an engine work?
Ford, Chevrolet, Toyota, and Honda may have different types of engines inside them, but they all work the same way. Simply put, an internal-combustion engine (the engine found in vehicles) is a heat engine that converts energy from the heat of burning gasoline to mechanical work, or torque. The torque is applied to the wheels, which make your car move. Engines have pistons that move up and down metal tubes called cylinders. Pistons are connected to a crankshaft via rods, and move up and down to power the crankshaft, which then power the wheels of your car. Vehicles will have between 2 and 12 cylinders in its engine.
An engine's pistons are powered by thousands of controlled explosions created by mixing fuel with oxygen, creating combustions. The heat and expanding gases from these mini-explosions push down on the piston in the cylinder, causing movement. Engines need air (namely oxygen) to burn fuel. During the intake stroke, valves open to allow the piston to act like a syringe as it moves downward, drawing in ambient air through the engine's intake system. When the piston reaches the bottom of its stroke, the intake valves close, effectively sealing the cylinder for the compression stroke, which is in the opposite direction as the intake stroke. The upward movement of the piston compresses the intake charge. We at Sav-Mor Automotive in Plano know all about how engines work, and can make the appropriate repairs as efficiently as possible.
How do I know if my engine needs repairs?
A vehicle’s engine is an intricate machine that is fundamental to getting you from one destination to another. Because of this, you should not ignore any issues with your engine. It is always a good idea to bring in your vehicle for smaller engine fixes rather than wait for a larger problem to occur that could cause severe damage to your car and cost you a lot more. If you are concerned about the health of your engine, you can bring your vehicle to Sav-Mor Automotive in Plano. We specialize in auto glass service, tire services, as well as engine repair. We can determine if the problem lies in your engine head gasket, exhaust system, catalytic converter, or something else.
Here are some of our tips for preventative maintenance to keep your engine running smoothly and avoid major problems:
- Change your oil regularly and use the recommended weight of oil.
- Change your timing belt at your manufacturers' recommended interval.
- Give your engine time to warm up before driving if possible, especially when the weather is cold. This will let the oil get into all parts of the engine before putting a large load on the engine.
Some warning signs of a faulty engine include:
- Your vehicle’s “Check Engine” light is on.
This light turning on could mean the oxygen sensor needs replacing, the catalytic converter is damaged, the fuel cap is loose, or something else. Whatever the reason is, a "Check Engine" light should not be ignored.
- The engine does not start when you turn your key in the ignition.
This usually indicates a problem with the way your engine processes fuel.
- Your vehicle is consuming more fuel than usual (you are getting less miles per gallon).
- You feel shaking and/or hear strange noises coming from underneath your vehicle’s hood.
Whether you would like to bring your vehicle in for preventative engine maintenance or a more extensive engine repair, we at Sav-Mor Automotive in Plano can take care of all your auto repair needs.
Your Trusted Shop for Engine Repair
Having engine troubles can be daunting, but at Sav-Mor Automotive, we can ease your anxieties. Serving communities in Collin County, Plano, Richardson, Murphy, Lucas, Garland, and surrounding areas since 1963, our skilled technicians and owner Brennan have a vast amount of knowledge on different types of engines and we provide thorough, high-quality service that will get you back on the road as soon as possible. Here's why you should choose us:
- We have a comfortable waiting area with free WiFi, drinks, and snacks.
- We work with a variety of groups, including Boy Scouts, the University of Texas - Dallas, and Living For Zachary, to help and build a community that we and our neighbors are proud to be a part of.
- All our services come with a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty.
- We have 80 five-star reviews from plenty of satisfied customers.
- We are a NAPA AutoCare shop and offer NAPA Easy Pay financing.
In addition to engine repair, we also perform services such as Texas State Inspections and drive train repair. If you are in the 75074 area or nearby, we'd love to see you stop by. Feel free to schedule an appointment with us online at https://www.sav-morautomotive.com/appointments or give us a call at 972-696-7319 today!